Roulette is a game of chance. It is played on a wheel and each spin of the roulette has a different outcome. The odds of winning are very low, but there are ways to improve your chances.
This article will explain what you can do to avoid losing at roulette. But before we begin, it’s important to understand the basics of the game. So let’s take a look:
The Basics of Roulette
You probably know that roulette is a game in which players bet that they will get a certain number or combination of numbers when the ball lands on the numbered section of the wheel.
It is also a game of chance because the wheel itself does not control the outcome. The random movement of the ball makes it impossible for someone to predict the final outcome.
The odds of getting any particular result depend on how many times the ball lands on a specific number. For example, if the ball landed on red 7 eight times in a row, then there is a 1-in-36 chance that the next spin will be red.
Players usually use the money they have won during their previous spins to place bets on upcoming spins. This betting system is called “American Roulette” as it was developed by Americans who settled in France after World War II.
In contrast, European Roulette uses the “French Method”, wherein the player places his bets directly on the table. The French method is more popular in Europe than it is in America. However, both methods have equal amounts of betting options and both offer similar payouts, depending on the number of bets placed. Here is an overview of the two systems:
American Roulette Betting Options
There are three main types of bets available with American roulette:
Single Number: A single bet allows the player to choose one of the 36 numbers on the wheel as the place where he wants the ball to land. If the ball lands on this spot, the player wins. The payout for winning a single bet is 30:1.
Double Number: Double bets allow the player to choose two different numbers, such as red and black. He will receive twice the amount of winnings if the ball lands on either of these spots (30:1).
Split Betting: Split betting is a bet made only between adjacent numbers. In other words, if the ball lands on any of the first five numbers, the player bets that the next number will be red; if the ball lands on the sixth number, he will wager that the next number will be black. If the player gets three out of five right, he receives 10:1, while if he gets two right, he receives 20:1. These are called odd numbers. And if the player gets four out of five right, he receives 50:1; if he gets three right, he receives 100:1.
European Roulette Betting Options
European roulette offers seven basic types of betting options:
Pass Line: This type of wagering option means that the player will lose everything on his bet if the ball falls on this line. This is the most common way to play the game.
Red & Black: Red and Black bets mean that the player will receive a reward if the ball lands inside a square of four numbers. He will lose if the ball lands outside of the square or on any of its sides.
Even Money: Even Money allows the player to make wagers that will give him a 50:50 chance of winning (i.e., a 5:6 payout).
Odd Money: Odd Money allows the player to make wagers that will give him a 33:1 chance of winning. The odds are calculated by dividing the total number of numbers into even and odd numbers.
Corner: Corner bets allow the player to make wagers on the corners of the board. If the ball lands on these spots, the player will receive 2:1.
Street: Street bets allow the player to bet on the vertical lines that divide the board into sections. If the ball lands on these spots, the player will receive 4:1.
Outside Betting: Outside bets allow the player to wager on the outside part of the board. If the ball lands on these spots, the player will receive 8:1.
Inside Betting: Inside bets allow the player to wager on the inside part of the board. If the ball lands on these spots, the player will receive 16:1.
So now that we’ve covered all the basics, let’s go over some of the things that you should never ever do when playing roulette. You might think that the game is simple, but there are some mistakes that novice gamblers make every day. Let’s review them:
Common Mistakes That Can Cost You Your Life Savings
Playing roulette is fun, but some people don’t realize that there are several ways that they can lose a lot of money at this game. Below is a list of the most common mistakes made by newbies:
- Losing track of time: Many gamblers get so caught up in the excitement of the moment that they forget about the clock. They may find themselves spending hours waiting for the ball to stop spinning when they should have been making moves.
- Neglecting to calculate the probability of winning: Gamblers often fail to calculate the probabilities of winning when making their wagers. Instead, they assume that their luck will hold. But this isn’t always the case. It’s better to know the odds and figure out whether you’re going to come out ahead.
- Betting too much: One of the biggest no-nos in casino games like roulette is betting too much. For example, if you have $100 worth of chips, you shouldn’t bet $10 or more on one spin. This is because you’ll end up losing your entire stake, and you’ll feel bad about it.
- Not taking advantage of free spins: Free spins are offered by casinos to entice new customers to gamble. But they also serve another purpose: They help players learn the rules of the game. So, don’t hesitate to use them to your advantage!
- Spending too much time watching the action: Most people enjoy watching the game unfold, but it’s important to keep track of the time. Otherwise, you could find yourself gambling for hours and not realizing that the session is ending.
- Failing to read the rules: No matter how good you are at math, you still need to familiarize yourself with the rules of the game. Reading the rules will ensure that you follow the regulations and avoid committing violations. Doing so will help you to stay safe and win more.
- Forgetting to drink water: Water is important to your health. But it’s just as important to your bank account! If you aren’t drinking enough water, you could easily end up gambling away all of your winnings. Make sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the night, especially if you’re playing multiple sessions.
How To Win At Roulette
Now that you know how to avoid losing at roulette, here’s how to start winning again:
- Start small. You want to build your bankroll gradually. Don’t try to play big sums of money until you’re experienced. Start off with smaller bets and increase the amount slowly.
- Keep track of time. If you find yourself playing for long periods of time, take a break from the table. Get up and walk around for a bit. Then, return to the game.
- Learn the rules. Before you start playing, read the rules and make sure that you know them. This will help you learn the game faster and avoid breaking any rules.
- Take advantage of free spins. Some casinos offer free spins to new customers. Use them wisely. Play a few rounds with free spins to learn the basic strategy.
- Dine well. Food and drinks are essential parts of any casino experience. Don’t neglect them! Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time. This will prevent you from rushing through your meal in order to get back to the tables.
- Be disciplined. Remember that winning at roulette is a long process. Keep focused and disciplined. Stick to your plan and watch your bankroll grow.
Robert Cherry is a professional blogger and content writer. He is the author of Casino blog. He loves to write about casino sites and casino online games. He is keen in finding the latest online casino bonus offers. He has a keen sense of what game gamblers would love and cherishes their value for money.